Friday, 6 November 2009

Thank Heavens for LCD Monitors

Some might say that I write updates here way too rarely to make it a readable blog, because when I do manage to write something, it's only a few paragraphs of how I watched a Kurt Russell film instead of something more interesting like what I THOUGHT about the film, and quite often I make a big deal about something new I'm doing that I won't do.
There's a good explanation for the lack of content, though: I never do anything. I think that's a very good explanation.

Anyway, the important and interesting thing about my current life is surely, if not most definitely, The Twilight Zone, of how far I've made it through the series.
I can honestly say, proud and ashamed at the same time, that I've watched 51 episodes so far. Something like 150 episodes were made of the series, so... I'm getting there. Very slowly.
I think the dream I had last night was greatly influenced by the overexposure to the Twilight Zone, but dreams usually are weird so who knows. I think there was something related to Chucky, the killer doll, too. I don't remember the details anymore.

More or less interesting than the TV shows I watch was the great adventure I had last night.
You know how old electronics seem to pile up in your basement and closets and bedroom corners, right? Your 20-year-old TV set with now slowly dimming picture, your old 50Hz PC that was never of any use but still works, the newer but still ancient PC that could just barely run Fracas to bring comfort into those lonely winter evenings, the cassette-player that was a relic even before CDs hit the public and so on.
That stuff is often hard to get rid of, not only because of sentimental value but because it's not ordinary waste. You can't just drop it in the bin and say goodbye. You can't leave it next to the trash outside and feel good about yourself. At least you shouldn't. You need to PAY to get someone to haul that crap away, that crap that still works even though there hasn't been any need for it to work in a decade or more.

Well, long and winding story shorter, here where I live once a year the city has these dudes in trucks go around picking up people's old electronics and dangerous waste for free, if you can haul it at their stop-points yourself. They stopped at two places in this part of town, and luckily we live almost right between those points so when last night we carried old computers, monitors, VCRs and radios out, we were able to split the pile of junk into two and haul half the stuff to the first stop and the other half to the second stop.
First we hauled the biggest monitor and the pc it came with to the first stop that we thought was the harder one to reach.
The journey was pretty taxing because we had to carry the stuff by hand, we don't have a car and our old baby carriage was stolen some years ago (oddly enough it was the only thing that was stolen that time. Breaking into the basement surely couldn't have been easy and the expensive smaller stuff wasn't even moved from it's spot). We were at the stop 10 minutes before the trucks came so after that job well done we were stupidly optimistic about the second trip.
We, the idiots of the play, also thought that we might as well throw out more old electronics while we're at it, since it's so easy.

I won't go into greater detail about the second trip because it felt longer than it really was and I remember it too well.
I'll just say that the voyage was of frustration, anger, despair and perspiration. The bags, ALL the bags we carried that stuff out in broke just 50 metres away from our door and the stop was further away than we had originally thought. The trucks scared us as they had left the previous stop 10 minutes before they should have and we were still a long way from the second stop when they drove past us. Bits and pieces of the stuff dropped on the ground on the way there.
But, here I am writing this and all that yesterday's technology is resting in pieces in the grave, so everything turned out fine. We got that shit loaded onto the trucks in time and picked up the little plastic stuff we dropped on the way back home. Thankfully individual keys from keyboards aren't difficult to get rid of.
It had started snowing just the night before so the slippery ground really helped us when we resorted to dragging the stuff from the power cords. I felt a bit like Django.

Modern technology isn't as durable, but it weights little and takes up little space, so carrying it out of the house is at least way easier, even if you must do it way more often.
I'm sore now, but I had fun. Doing stuff like this always makes me feel more of a man than the mouse I am.

By the way, it's still snowing. Odd, the past decade it's started snowing later and later, even as late as New Year's Eve, and the winter has usually lasted about two weeks with odd weather. It's almost like the winters from my childhood, and I am sure that now I jinxed it and tomorrow it's melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment