Wednesday 12 May 2010

True Crime, it's just that. A true crime.

Nope, not talking about the new game coming for PS3, 360 and PC some sunny day.

Just tried out True Crime: Streets of LA for a bit, and it was quite a disappointment.
I didn't really ask for a whole lot from the game when I popped it in, just some solid shooting and fighting controls and perhaps a passable story, and I dared to expect at least decent controls because I've heard nothing but good things about this game and how the sequel ruined it. Unfortunately the shooting controls of True Crime: Streets of LA are clunky as hell, the interaction with the crimes around town and the way solving or failing to solve the crimes awards you karma or points is badly designed and in some cases broken, and the close combat fighting system is just... crap. The manual also briefly mentions and recommends using a feature that doesn't actually exist in the game. Great.
The entire soundtrack is hip hop or rap or whatever, and although I understand there are fans of this kind of music, I myself don't happen to like it one bit. The game also has the nerve to always start playing ONE and the SAME god damn song everytime I enter a vehicle, as if having a selection of crap wasn't enough to annoy me already. No, it must play one specific crap song to further piss me off. Perhaps it a devious scheme to make me think the other songs are actually great when they finally do start playing.
The only worthwhile aspects of this game are the surprisingly light hearted and humorous cutscenes and the sheer ridiculousness of the free roaming and crime solving gameplay, but the iffy controls and broken features are just too much for me. Not only that, but the game actually glitched and got stuck on me, which is in truth what really ended my first, and who knows if it's not the last, sitting with this particular title. I suppose it at least had the common decency to end this pointless experience short, before any real harm was done.

I'm afraid to ask exactly how bad True Crime: New York City is when it's said to be outright horrible compared to this so-called "great" Streets of LA...

No comments:

Post a Comment